Despite the bass-ackwards Microsoft Hohm presentation (Months left to right, years right to left?!) if you squint real hard you can see we are making a decent dent in our electricity usage. Hohm does weird things to try to average out over the month etc, so when February’s bill comes Jan may adjust a little, but I’m very pleased with this. Granted, last year we were running an electric space heater (ouch!) but still, this is a very low month relative to the historical amounts. Given that we have 2 fridges, an electric range, and an electric clothes dryer, I think it’s not too bad.
- CFLs everywhere (has been done for years, actually)
- Turn off lights like a madman
- Set the Mythbox to turn off when not in use or recording
- Plug all AV equipment into back of receiver to kill most phantom power
- Put VOIP box & 2 cordless phones on timer to turn off in the wee hours
- Got a HE washer that spins clothes thoroughly, reducing drying time
Things yet to do: